Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Before and After: From Old Dresser to Vintage Circus Changing Table

Part III: Project Baby G's Room.  I am getting pretty excited- Baby G is due in three weeks!  I am looking forward to her little chubby cheeks, her gummy smile and her little feet.  Oh, there are going to be lots of dirty diapers, too, you say???  Hmm, it sounds like a new project to me!  My mission: To find a vintage dresser and convert it into a changing table.  


I wanted the finished dresser to look beach-boardwalk-y, bright and cheerful, and I wanted it to compliment the fabulos-o circus tent ceiling that my friends already painted in the nursery. Dougie diligently searched Craigslist, and within a couple of weeks he found the dresser.  Craiglist shopping wins again! This dresser was the ideal size for a changing table, it had that vintage circus look, and it had plenty of storage underneath (always important in a small living space.)  I knew I wanted to paint it, so I didn't mind that there was a hodge-podge of hardware.  



I removed the hardware and filled the holes with Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler.  Then, I sanded the entire dresser and painted the front and sides with Benjamin Moore's Peacock Blue Satin Paint. *BM makes a great self-priming paint, so it only required two coats.  Next, I sanded the edges (in the biz we call this distressing) so it would look like it had the natural wear and tear of a sandy beach-boardwalk town.  I rubbed Minwax Aged Oak Gel'd Stain onto the entire surface, and applied 2 coats of Varathane Satin Polyurethane to protect it.  Dougie installed the new hardware, and, voila!  Vintage Circus Changing Table Project complete.  Now, the room has furniture and paint, and is ready for it's littlest occupant.

Next time that you see a Project Baby G's Room Blog, I promise you will see a little baby too.... 

Until then, happy distressing!
Nancy



No comments:

Post a Comment